The EBMUD (East Bay Municipal Utility District) Private Sewer Lateral Program is an ordinance made to “establish regulations for the inspection, testing, repair, replacement, and ongoing maintenance of Private Sewer Laterals” (EBMUD Website). Even though the ordinance has been on the books since 2011, many people fail to meet compliance standards yearly. So, to help mitigate that problem, we here at Streamline Plumbing put together this short little guide. Let’s get into it.
Where Is The EBMUD PSL Ordinance In effect?
As of right now, the EBMUD PSL ordinance is in effect in the following cities and municipalities:
- Richmond Annex
- El Cerrito
What Kinds Of People Does The Ordinance Apply To?
The ordinance affects all residential, industrial, and commercial properties throughout the abovementioned areas.
Yet, while the ordinance applies to all forms of property, certain situations trigger the rule. Those situations and actions include:
- Changing your water meter’s size or capacity
- Building or remodeling that costs more than $100,000
- You bought or sold the piece of property or question.
Are There Any Exemptions To The Program?
There are a couple of noted exceptions to the EBMUD Private Sewer Lateral Program and ordinance, including:
- The private sewer lateral in question is less than ten years old.
- You have a valid, unexpired PSL Compliance Certificate or similar documentation (Alameda, Albany, and Stege Sanitary District ONLY)
How Do You Comply With The PSL Ordinance?
To comply with the PSL ordinance, you must complete the following (from the East Bay PSL website):
- Have your sewer lateral inspected by a professional Oakland EBMUD sewer lateral contractor (like us here at Streamline)
- Repair or replace your sewer lateral if the inspections find faults or damages
- Schedule an inspection with EBMUD to ensure compliance with all regulations
- Fix any problems encountered during the EBMUD inspection (if necessary)
- Download and print your copy of the Compliance Certificate
Contact Our Plumbers To Ensure Compliance Today!
Here at Streamline Plumbing & Underground Sewer Construction, we pride ourselves on offering the most thorough, professional PSL compliance inspections and repair services. So, now is the time to act if you’ve put off getting your sewer lateral checked. Contact us to schedule a compliance inspection today!